Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

Tuesday 28 May 2019

WHAT I SHOULD BE.......

Yesterday, a guy in my office who I had resorted to stop showing my sweet side because he had been mistaking my niceness for something else by trying to touch me anytime he got the least opportunity, told me something after I gave him five minutes of my time while I waited for my laptop to be worked on.


He did not only cease the opportunity to apologise to me for his inappropriate behaviour towards me but also found it as  a perfect opportunity to school me on how I'm in the wrong career and how I'm wasting time by going to law school.


Initially, I found this line of conversation amusing until I let myself understand this guy properly.To him, I was wasting time waking up and going to work trying to earn a living and feel useful as a  beautiful woman and further wasting time by going to law school because according to him, he does not know what a woman of my calibere needs  a law degree for, if not for the mere funfair of parading myself about as a lawyer.


When I asked what he would prefer I'd rather be doing, his answer was a bit complex to understand till he finally did me a favour by breaking it down. Greg meant it when he said I was too beautiful to be stressing myself up by going to work and school. I did not deserve to go through the 'stress' when I could do the needful.

Greg's idea of the needful was taking beautiful photos and being on social media and you can imagine the rest.

I had to tell him I wake up daily to go 'gossip' and get paid because for me, it is not just for the money but mainly because I'm putting my skills to good use. If it was for the money, I'm sure I would be in some other field of career and not this particular one, but my ability to use my talent to translate into helping bring the news to the door step of the ordinary person, is what makes this thing fun and not exactly a job like he painted it.


I won't talk about being a lawyer because at this point, I was not willing to be explaining myself to anyone for my choices but rather, he made me realise how we as a people have come to embrace and celebrate people who wake up daily, take photos, post them on social media and slay all day, all month all year, not doing any particular business like being a stylist or the owner of a boutique or clothing line trying to showcase their design but rather, getting celebrated for flaunting their God-given assets.

Yes, we have come to celebrate the women who wake up to slay and make a living out of being slay queens at the neglect of women like me, who not because we lack those assets to flaunt but have chosen to go through life's mill in stages. Society chooses to ignore such people and would rather invest their time and resources in the women who can flaunt a bit of their assets and help them promote their causes, but not the causes of women like me who will go from office to office trying to convince people that some little girl in rural Ghana can barely read or speak English, thus we're craving their indulgence to help put sunshine into their lives.


Society would rather celebrate the woman who is slaying nude all day on social media and to make it worse, try to make it look like that's the way to go as a beautiful woman. Greg is not the only man who thinks every beautiful woman should be a 'sex tool'. There are several others like him who even think worse of beautiful women.

I remember my looks used to bother me by the time I was about 21 years. I had begun to understand the reality of a man's thoughts and the several shortfalls of being 'beautiful'. My sister and I would have this conversation and wonder why we weren't made just ordinary looking girls.Now I know God has a reason.

Today I have come to embrace who I am, the shortfalls, the misjudgments by society, the scorn of being an attractive woman among others which will certainly be a topic for another day.


Now I have come to understand that this thing called womanhood is no joke. Men expect you to live in a certain way, some men would rather you live according to the standards set by society but one thing is obvious, womanhood and being a beautiful woman is not about slaying nude to make a living.


Lately, I have had men specifically tell me, why they would want me, for what they think I'm trying to achieve, and obviously how they envisage me in God knows some years to come, and how useful I will be to their cause. You see, some men do appreciate the women who strive to achieve something using their brains rather than their bodies, both the genuine ones and the ones that think you will be a good financial cover going into the future.


So dear young woman, I don't know what it is you do and what your dreams are. I just came to tell you, let no man stop you from achieving those dreams. Let no 'slay queen nude agenda' cause you to neglect or abandon your dreams or pursuits. Also let not society's expectations of who you should be and what career paths you should tread cause you to think twice about genuinely working to make a living.



One day, the difference between the beautiful woman
some men would want you to be and the beautiful woman who isn't living according to those societal expectations will be determined.


Keep on!

 ..................Puppishgirl...........


Photo Source: Pinterest

2 comments: