Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

Thursday 4 June 2015

Black Thursday: Shut Up You!

I have never done this. I hate writing about issues that every one else writes about especially the serious ones that can cause feuds between people. So I try to stay away from such topics because we live in a dispensation where, you can't talk openly about issues without being labelled as one sided. Either belonging to party A or B if you are not careful. I love writing and this is not something I would want to give up for expressing an opinion : to me, writing is like opium.   I would love to be a voice for some people one day. I would love to serve some people and fight for their cause but, I have no intentions of becoming a politician. I would rather be just an activist.

Today, circumstances have compelled the Puppishgirl to write this. I did not only see it on Tv but I went to a few places with a friend  and saw the damage caused to victims of the Accra floods.  From loss of properties to loss of lives due to the petrol station fire incident. My hearts out to the families of the deceased. There are too many lapses in our system, I realized it when a man my friend and I saved was left to die at the Police hospital due to negligence a few weeks ago when he got knocked down by a vehicle on a dark night. I lost faith in the whole system thing for a while until recently.

Whether it is  administration ineptitude,  indiscipline, whatever,  I won't address those issues. I'm too angry to do that. Six years ago, I was a victim and can relate to the phlights of those who were victims today. No comments.  Let me ask you, did the government ask my family to go build in the water way? Is government responsible for people: educated and uneducated dumping refuse at wrong places?  Why do we have to deal with the Accra floods annually? I know people who blame the government even when their Television isn't working . I'm not surprised at the mayor's comment on BBC at all, no comments.

Everyone on social media has their own opinion but I  honestly think sometimes people who do not live in this country should not even contribute to such debates. Accra floods come every year. We all know that.  This isn't the time to
start apportioning blame. This isn't the  time to determine which party is in government. This isn't the time to post gory pictures and gain publicity when you are not a media house or even work with one. Would you be happy to find out your relative is involved, through such a medium?  This is not the time to say we do not need prayers. We need everything that will ensure long term solutions beginning from our proactivity.

This involves you and I if only you are Ghanaian.  Don't sit in another country and say this happens every year. Don't say crap because you were not a victim.  Tell me, if those seeking shelter at the petrol station died due to their own negligence.  Stop with the loose talk. People are hurting and all you do is say crap. Where death is involved, it's a sensitive issue.  Stop with the  loose talk. If you can't say anything different, just shut up. We've had enough drama already.

I honestly hope that appropriate measures to prevent future occurrences will begin from tomorrow even if it means demolishing, investing large sums of money and just doing the right thing rather than just the theories: more talk, less action. In all yes, it was  torrential, we could not have stopped the rain.

God bless our homeland Ghana.
God save our homeland Ghana and grant us peace, strength and wisdom to do this now.
God see the victims of the Accra floods through their time of distress
God comfort those who have lost loved ones due to the floods and the petrol station fire outbreak.
My condolences to the families involved.




Sad day.

Sad day in the history of my country.

To the memory of those who lost their lives in the disaster and to celebrate those who survived it with appreciation to God  for this day.

6 comments:

  1. Nice write up of the true nature of how people think, live and do things in Ghana and most part of the world," more talk, less action" - God bless you, God will hear the cry of the few in the land.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read someone's eye witness account of the disaster. Stuck in a lift watching people burn. Depressing. Yet I'm thinking people have got talent: he wrote such an excellent piece. I've been joking all this while :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. U haven't been joking all this while... we all have different ways of presentation. Just as u love someone's, someone also marvels at urs... do ur best and alow the world to make the comparison... as for that "ROOM", there is always enough for everyone.... (improvement)

      Remember the sky is the launching pad...

      Delete
  3. Vry sad tragedy, well wnt voice out anymore cos it stresses me alot to tlk alot abt something they wnt evn do..God save our mother land and bless you chocolita..

    ReplyDelete