Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

Saturday 25 April 2015

Sunshine Dollup: Diary Of A Single Sister II

Saturday Night

Sunshine Dollup,


Today, I had quite a long day. Gladys from the gym where I work out has just had a baby. She invited me to go to her baby's naming ceremony.  Typical of people in our part of the world these days, the ceremony did not begin on time. People showed up late though I'm aware this particular ceremony is usually held early in the morning.

Gladys was looking pretty and I admired her for giving birth to such an adorable baby boy.
Lately, I've been contemplating having a baby. At least, if I can't have a man cuddle me all night long, I can have someone call me 'Mummy.' Mini me.

Anytime I gave it a thought, I would nurture dreams of executing my thoughts and envisage what it would feel or be like to at least have a child.

Then again, reality hits me and propels me to rescind my decision. Casting my minds eye around, no one in my family: nuclear or extended has had a baby out of wedlock. I had four younger sisters, two unmarried, still looking up to big sister. Trust me, my mum seems to be worried about my status: single at thirty five but the thought of having a baby out of wedlock would not sound appealing to her. For various reasons: family, church and the society as a whole.  Mummy is an elder at church.  Lots of people at church also look up to me. I can't begin to imagine being up the duff. No husband. Yet, I feel like I'm running out of time.

Whatever it is, I just long for a family I can call my own and for this loneliness to cease. 'Can you carry your nephew a little while please.' Gladys said, rudely interrupting my thoughts. Placing baby Jones on my laps. I quickly had to hold him and by the time I could speak up, she had disappeared to attend to other guests. I'm sure. I loved baby Jones and Gladys was like a little sister to me. 

She was twenty six but taller and bigger in stature. I had met her two years ago at the gym where I had been working out. She was an architect and has been one of my reliable friends since then. I could count on Gladys to spend time with me any day. I guess it was easier for her to do so because her hubby was out of the country studying. She must have felt lonely sometimes, I'm sure.

I love this girl. She's so thoughtful and sweet. When the ceremony had been finally over, I had gone to the spa and then to the salon. My Spa time was always one of the times when I wished I had someone I could send a photo of me with all those facial stuff on my face to,  but it was always rejuvenating for me. When I was done and had been about to drive home, I checked my phone and had ten missed calls. Oooops. Audrey had called me ten times in a row. I quickly called her back. 'Hello Yella.' 'Hello, Drey. Are you okay?' 'Silly girl, I' ve been calling you all evening' Audrey said. 'Drey, was at the spa.' 'Okay, you're so annoying, can we hang out tonight at  seven, is that okay?'  I did a quick mind search. No i had no engagements or so ever tonight. 'Thats okay Drey. Come to my place at seven.'  'Noooo, please meet me up at Chillies instead.' Audrey said. 'Why, whats happening at Chillies?' I questioned. 'Nothing Ella, are you gonna come or not?' 'I will.' 'See you later beautiful' 'Yeah sure, see you later Drey. Bye. Bye.'

How did  Audrey convince me to accept to go to Chillies with her tonight. I couldn't believe myself. Hanging out with Audrey was always fun. Most of the time,  I was spent : she was such an activity so I always preferred having her over at my place instead.  That way, she didn't have too many options to choose from. 

It was already past five in the evening when I arrived home. I went to the kitchen to fix myself a quick meal: rice and goat light soup, which I had made a week ago.  These days I've lacked inspiration  to cook unless I was expecting someone over. I always cooked and ended up eating alone all week. Whilst I waited for the rice to cook, I went to take my shower.  My life was becoming boring. After, I ate my food piecemeal in silence.  The house was as usual, quiet as a graveyard.

Oh God.You've been good to me but there's one pressing  need: I'm lonely.  Give me someone to laugh and cry with.  Come through for me. Grant me just this one wish. I had stopped eating to think about my current situation. I must admit I was getting depressed in every sense.  Tears streaked down my cheeks as I sat at the dinning table. Reality struck me for a while longer as I cried my heart out.







5 comments:

  1. Ohh..wat now again. ahhh.Dis email again

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know God knows and understands us, wherever we are.He sees and knows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In as much as we,v got gud frnds,who makes us laf nd all dat ,we feel lonely at times,it makes us realize dat e maker himself didn't create us to be alone cos each one has a pair somewhere..

    ReplyDelete