Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

Monday 20 April 2015

Can't Walk A Mile In My Shoes, Don't Judge Me!

Sometimes people are too quick to judge others.
People do not even take their time to find out why others behave or act the way they do. You've got to walk a mile in their shoes to be able to understand them.

I went to the bank  around Makola because it was a Saturday and it was one of the few branches which worked on weekends. From the bank, I decided to go shopping since I was already around Makola market. Couldn't believe I had decided to go shopping when I could barely walk. I walked slowly taking all the time in the world irrespective of where I was. To my surprise, I heard one of the market women ask:'how can a small girl like you be walking like an old lady.' I just gazed at her and walked on. I heard another say behind me:' I think she has a problem with her legs.' I did not bother waiting to listen to their conversation so can't really tell what conclusion they came to.

I had some shopping to do and thats all that mattered. That same night, I had to  attend a party. Despite making  my date aware of my condition, he still didn't mind hanging out with me and I did not want to disappoint him. At the party, I sat at one place forever because I could not stand up by myself. Yet my  date kept introducing me...I could not dance or do anything but every other person could. Yet, some girls stole the chance to gossip.  Yes sure, women....'Who asked you to come if you can't walk. You're scared your man will end up with another girl...'  Wow! I thought.  What a weird way to think.

It struck my mind immediately, how we are quick to condemn or judge people without trying to find out what situation they may be in. I'm even guilty of the same thing but I guess I learned after my experience.  Those market women, did not know me or my story. Neither did they know why I was limping on all legs. Obviously, they could not have asked me. Nothing showed I was ill. No not my face or skin and my legs were all covered up because of the leggings I was wearing. Perhaps if my legs had been exposed, it would have helped them better.

As for the girls at the party, they could obviously see that my legs were sick from the way I walked and how unusually fat my legs looked in the shorts jumpsuit that I wore. I mean for my size I guess it was obvious.  How I could not get up by myself not to even get a drink and was being aided to walk might have said it all. Yet to them, people with sickly legs should be at home, on bed rest and not partying. My presence at the party automatically told them just one thing: I was there to check my man. Hilarious!

That's how quick we are as human beings to judge:to form one's opinion of something without taking our time to find out what exactly may be the problem. 

This happens daily. It happens all the time, most people do it but, the next time you decide to judge someone, may I ask: if you can try walking just a mile in the persons shoes? Can you walk a mile in that married woman's shoes? Just to find out why she is so possessive and jealous when you go near her husband? Can you walk a mile in that man's shoes ? Just to find out why he is so paranoid and doesn't trust women, before you decide to judge him?

If you can't walk a mile in my shoes, Don't you dare  judge me!!
If you can't walk a mile in my shoes, don't judge me!
If you can't walk a mile in their shoes, don't judge them!















When everyone goes to a party with girls who can dance and walk, you show up with  a limping girl, who can't dance.. Or can barely walk....... I kept  teasing you about it, your smile said it all: 'I want to get up, I want to  sit down, I want a drink, I want to go out...' I dey worry, I'm aware..thank you.  Thank you to everyone who has been supportive throughout these few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment