Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

Tuesday 10 March 2015

A Knife Through My Heart

'Sad, depressed, burdened
Broken, tears unlimited, torture
A knife through my heart'

I was on my way home from church a few hours ago when this little voice kept calling me:'madam, madam.' I turned to find a little girl behind me. 'Good evening madam' I did not know what to expect so I just responded:'Good evening, how are you? ' 'Please can I follow you home to live with you?' I was lost for words but still managed to ask 'why would you want to follow me home?' 'Because I know you can help me.'  Eeeii I thought to myself. A girl in dirty clothes looking up to me to assist her. Finally, the witches in my village have visited me and decided to do it on my way from church. Yes, after church. I thought to myself....just a joke though...Hahahahah.  I wondered why of all the people she had met today, she chose me as the right person to take her home.  That's blood cuddling I thought taking a good look at the little girl who stood before me.

I could not comprehend what was happening but after a while I regained my composure. I wanted some answers. What had happened to her own home? According to her, she lived with her cousins but they had been ejected by their landlord and the cousins had asked her to wait for them because they were going to check something but they never returned.  It's been two weeks and she's had no place to sleep but in the market.

Where were her parents?  She said she was an orphan. After talking with her I had heard stories of a guy attempting to rape her, how she was labelled a witch and how she could not take me to their old house because no one wanted to see her face in the neighbourhood. 

The stories did not fit in at all and her unwillingness to co-operate with me baffled my mind. First thing that came to mind; take her to the police yet I didn't.  She looked tired and hungry.  I offered to pay for her meal but  she declined saying she needed a place to stay the night and beyond. I guess accommodation was first on her scale of preference. Yes because apparently all she had eaten was fifty pesewas roasted plantain all day. She looked so innocent but she was not willing to take me to her old house. How then would I know that this so called fourteen year old who looked like a ten year old was being truthful.

My neighbour was willing to accommodate her but was not ready to go to the police.  He finally left her to go to town. Lots of people had spoken to her yet no one wanted to go to the police. I even heard that in my absence, a certain man; man of God he claims pronounced her possessed.  I sought legal advice before taking any action. In the end since no one was willing to go with me to the police, and I could not predict the little girls actions if she had to narrate her story to the police, Human beings are funny.So though I really wanted to help this little soul, I did not.  No one was willing to help her too. They all wanted me to be the one to take her to the Police Station.

I sat with her to have a drink.  This time she accepted my offer.  I explained to her that she would  have to go back to the market to sleep  just for another night and return early tomorrow morning so I can see how best to assist her. I gave her money to last her for three days, I'm sure and told her to have a good meal tomorrow.  James looked on as I struggled to part with this girl. I did not want to let her go but everyone said it was for the best. As I watched her leave, my heart tore to pieces. I began to cry. The pain of watching this little girl go and spend the night in some unknown place. As I cried, my friend tried to console me. Why did her cousins let her go? Why are people so mean sometimes. Possessed or not, what happened to deliverance and all. Why the discrimination because a young girl decided to have a voice by exposing a wanna be rapist?

I just wished this was happening somewhere in Africa because I know a man who loves the rejected, possessed or not. He would make them his responsibility.

Here I am, saddened, depressed, broken. I can't sleep knowing that little girl is out there, no bed, no shelter, nothing.  Burdened with the responsibility of what her fate would be tomorrow.  I'm feeling shitty. I would probably cry all night knowing I could have helped her but did  not. I'm in for the long haul.

Blessing, I'm sorry I couldn't be of help. Where ever you are,  my heart and thoughts are with you. I'm praying and believing God to see you through the night and if he can use me to salvage your situation, may tomorrow guide and lead me to you.  If not, may he bring that one angel to remedy the situation.  Today, you taught me another lesson and made me discover something else about me.

I won't forgive myself if something should happen to you.  May God command his angels concerning you and heal a broken me.
Hoping you would be safe!



















8 comments:

  1. Awwww...no truth in this world. and kindness is no where close to us.it's sad whn I watch Hw society has become distinctive wit one another.poor gall..wish her well enough..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright! Blessing came back early in the morning. Dressed in a black top and a black mini skirt. Clean set of clothes. Carrying a small bag that contained her soap, sponge and a small towel. 'How did you get these clothes? ' I asked. 'I bought them this morning with the money you gave me together with these.' Wow! I thought. She showed me the small bag containing the towel, sponge and soap. My silly neighbours directed her to my place. I called the police. Fortunately, I got a police man and woman to come speak with her. Unfortunately, Blessing refused to co-operate with the police. She wouldn't go and show us where she used to reside not even after being assured of maximum protection and security. I had tried in my own small way to get her to lead us there but she kept insisting that all she wanted was to live with me. Every attempt on my part to get her to co-operate so we could help her failed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As heart broken as I was, this girl refused to sit in the police vehicle and left all of us wondering. She was not ready to co-operate to be taken through counselling so she could heal and recover from her trauma. I sat with this girl for a while and had bonded well with her but her refusal to co-operate just made us keep going back and forth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As it stands, this goes beyond me. She won't let me take her to the appropriate places. Someone says she was sent. Well done to the person who sent her. Yes I have a weakness and you hit me right there where it hurts most.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just to reiterate, my foundation does not cater for homeless or abandoned children but if I find them, I will ensure that I lead them to the right institutions where I'm sure they will be well catered for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't send them to me because you think I run a foundation for children and tell me;' that's what you do.'
    Please. I do not want to go through this experience again. Bonding with a child so adorable and having to part ways with her. Its sickly; emotional torture please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate the police; Enoch and his colleague for responding to my call. It only took a few minutes for them to show up. Thank you.



    Thank you to James for providing cash for the little Blessing.



    Thank you to a mean lawyer I know for the advice. You, I'm sure you will never offer pro-bono. Except I'm the one who needs it :)
    Smh



    Thanks to my silly neighbour for what you did. I won't be saying hi to you for the next one month so don't stress it. I bore you.



    Thanks to everyone. I know someone who doesn't like what happened. There was nothing else I could do under the prevailing circumstances. Cheer up my friend, life must go on.




    ReplyDelete