Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

Wednesday 18 January 2017

GAMBIA BLEEDS....

Bruised, buttered, betrayed.
I queued to cast my ballot: dropping marbles into  coloured drums for the candidate of my choice: a leader I wanted to rule over my land.
With three options to choose from: almighty Jammeh who was hoping to rule for a billion years.
Barrow who had arisen as the eagle to fly my people to a new destination to restore democracy, Kande: a hope for my land some day.
What a shock it was,
the almighty ruler since 1994, conceded defeat to the surprise of the  African Continent and the entire world.
Oh the wind of change that the voices had screamed and called for threatened to blow and it blew across...
The clouds were destined to change colour
The night stars that were shrouded rose to shine again:  a Gambia that I dreamed of becoming.
Show me my Gambia
Show me my dreams
Show me her leader
Show me the heart of her leader....
Gripped hands on power, concession thrashed to the sands..
the heart of her leader...
Her people flee: an escape from looming destruction
a sojourn to the land of freedom.
Hopes overturned,
Hearts broken,
Bruised minds,
Bleeding hearts.
Vulnerability in consistent grip of the icy hands of power.
Her peace is threatened:
the women will suffer,
the children's future unclear,
the men in disarray as they look on...
Questioning,what will become of her....
My land
My pride
My home
My  legacy
What will it be?
The heart of the leadership problem: the heart of the leader...
Oh Africa, oh leaders,
power drunken?
Where is our conscience?
Where is our dignity?
Arise! Arise!
Stand up! Arise!
Your people weep...
Leave us not with bruises and scars
Not with bitter memories of dashing hopes and defeated souls...
Touch not our Gambia no more,
we plead with you:
the heart of the leader...
Gambia bleeds, Gambia weeps.
Heal her land.
Gambia bleeds, Gambia weeps:
for when she will not only see this terror no more   but feel the wind of change she yearns for,
take over her land!




Photo Source: Google photos.

Gambia my muse.

3 comments: