Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

Wednesday 15 April 2020

A GENTLE REMINDER



I like to read the words you wrote over and over again although someone
would think I shouldn’t
I like to read it over and over again
not because it’s the most pleasant thing I ever read
not because it’s the only piece I’ve got to read
but to remind myself daily
of who I am
and how much I’m worth
to bring me back to the realisation that I deserve better
to make me in awe of the strength I wield
to remind me constantly that an eagle must only soar with eagles and not feed with the hens
to remind me that I am a woman whose worth should not be determined by how someone chooses to
treat me
to remind me that while you exploit me
there’s someone out there who is gentle and kinder with their words
to remind me that this thing called womanhood is a blessing
to set me on the path to the mountain top
to remind me that I’m a woman who should not be scorned
to remind me that I’m gold
that I deserve better
to remind me of the day I set out on this path
a path to freedom to own my thoughts and feel my emotions
a path to strength where my strength is in my thoughts
thoughts of who I am
of who deserves me
of what deserves my emotions and attention
thoughts not to allow the impact of your your exploitation fill my head
not to allow the impact of your ill treatment push me under the bridge
a path to freedom
free from the bondage of abuse today and tomorrow
for now and the future
free from limitation
with no limits to my tomorrow
to clip my wings and prevent me from ever flying
I begrudge you not
rather I’m grateful for such a time
a time when womanhood will be scorned for another woman
a time when masculinity will be perceived as 'bolster' or 'benefit'
grateful for the reminder
the reminder to embrace and celebrate who I am
the reminder that I’m worth better
a reminder of my own strength drawn in my weakness from the wells of a dictator
a dictate to feminity
a gentle reminder
a reminder.....


Photo Source: Pinterest

6 comments: