Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

Sunday 11 February 2018

Life Is Gold

Ghanaians woke up to the sad news of dancehall artiste Ebony's demise on Friday. While I did those few lines announcing the news to the world, I was not only in a state of denial hoping it would be another of those pranks but was certain it would be fake news. It was quite a sad day, was depressed all through, if I felt that way, how did the families feel then?


Yet days have passed and there has been no news of Ebony coming back to life nor assertions that it was not her who got killed in the accident.  I realise life is gold, life is precious.


It leaves us with lots of lessons to draw and infer. I hope  investigations  will be conducted  and we'll all know who left the heap of sand there as well as the necessary  actions taken where needed. Ghana my happy home!  Damn the allegations and controversies surrounding her death. It has been an opportunity for people to boast and pride themselves in the fact that their mums intercede on their behalves, whose mum doesn't? Shut up already! That's someone's baby we are referring to not your mum's baby.


There are no special people in the world if there were, years ago, a great man of God in this country lost his two beautiful rising daughters in a tragic road accident even though they had travelled by air and had to reach their final destination by road.  Those girls were special, tell me why they died then?


I did not know Ebony personally, I only knew her as the girl who showed so much flesh and had songs I could dance to. She obviously oozed sexual appeal amongst the male population, nothing new. The only time I had really listened to people I know talk about her was not even anything bad. The guys were intrigued by her way of dressing and very typical of men, they did not mind having her. She was a crush to most young men in this country.


Not someone to be bothered by her dressing. Why judge someone when I may have done my share of it and still do? I believe in letting people make their own mistakes and learn from them. Forty percent of my female friends are years younger than I am. I've been in that position countless times when they would either come telling me something or show up dressed inappropriately.  Do I tell them they are wrong? When you love people, you correct them in love. Sometimes letting them make their own mistakes and having them point them out to you themselves helps. I would never be able to draw them if all I did was criticise them at the least opportunity but pointing out their flaws is not a priority, what is, is to ensure that they reach their dreams and goals as well as not stray.


I always use myself as an example. I would say if you knew me during undergrad days in Legon, you would hate me. I wore weird and loud shades  of nail polish. Wore several toe rings and rings on my fingers. Wore anklets to go with it and definitely there had to be a bit of my flesh showing off. Please my mum took me along to buy my clothes, she made me choose them and she paid. Needless to say I dressed that way but was as innocent when it came to anything sexual. Sometimes appearances can be deceptive.  I just lived my life. Didn't I grow up in church? 


 Thank God for his saving grace. So given this backdrop, I'm not someone to judge someone by the way they dress. Except perform my fashion police duties in my mind and if their pantie line was drawn or something was off.


Today I've learned to cover up and I look at people who wear toe rings and anklets and smile.  No need telling them to stop, they'll stop when they want to. Life is in stages. We grow up every time and I was hoping Ebony would reach that stage too, so I never bothered with what she wore.


Finding Christ? No one is too young or too old to find Christ. If evangelism isn't backed with the Holy Spirit, we would win no souls at all. Our parents have a huge responsibility of bringing us up in a way that the awareness of a higher authority we submit to is imbibed in us. The best thing we can do for our children is to lead them to Christ. Yes some will drift away but it will be an albatross around your neck not to ever introduce your children to Christ as a parent. Yes and even if your parents never do, you still have the chance.


Everyone keeps talking about Ebony but have you given it a thought yet? She became a star in her youthful age. How old are you ? Are you a star yet? Have you lived your dream yet? Are you that doctor or dancer you said you would become? Are you writing a book? How many have you published and how many lives have you impacted? Can you even afford to take a risk?

The parents who keep judging. Okay, you are supposed to implore the Holy Spirit to build a hedge of protection around your children. Are you praying for your children? Or you are busy glorying in their achievements and neglecting the prayer bit? Are you interceding for them? Are you correcting them in love? Are you counselling them whilst cheering them on in the field of life? Are you standing in the gap for them?

Those of you  saying on social media, my mum stands in the gap for me and would never let this happen, my dad does too,  does God know you personally?  Are you working out your own salvation too or leaving it to your mums? Mums if you have a rising star, are you standing in the gap for them whilst they go out to pursue their dreams?

As a child of your parents, are you protecting yourself? Are you under a covering? Are you seeking God? Whatever it is you are seeking, seek it well. We all need God. We all need the grace of a finisher to reach our various dreams and destinations and be the ones to bury our parents not otherwise.


Are we loving enough?  Are we spending time feeding our souls as much as we spend time on our physical bodies, yes facials, pedicures and all? Remember, heaven is so real and death is cruel but an end for everyone .


While we mourn Ebony, stop the unnecessary speculations and judgements, leave God who gave her to us to do his work. Concentrate on working out your own salvation, let this draw you a step closer to your dreams and propel you to seek Christ if you do not know him yet. If you already do, concentrate on working out your salvation, leave someone's daughter alone!


Our hearts are definitely broken, God take care of yours and the families of those who died with you.

Even in death, your determination, style rare talent cannot be overlooked.

Forever in our hearts.
We'll miss you.
Sleep well Ebony!

Photo source  : Google  Photos  and  Marie Amoakwa  Boadu

3 comments:

  1. Good advice, rest in peace Ebony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Herh! Her songs have been on replay for the past two weeks here at home and I have been amazed at how my very own Elly could sing the lyrics of "Maame hw33". Her demise is such a big blow. Elly, remember when I was around the ages of 18-23 years? ...I wanted to do a bit of everything. Smoke, drink, go clubbing. I wore very short skirts,shorts and dresses. Wanted to get my nose pierced if not for the beauty spot on it. And I almost got my arm tattooed and kept a crazy hair style, remember? Mum interceded every day on our behalf yet I just wanted to explore. But fast track to age 24,all those things were irrelevant. Building a career and getting to know God more was most important. When we are young we all want to go through the adventure childhood comes with. Probably, it was so with Ebony. And am certain that if she had lived longer, we would all have seen her mature into a much more beautiful woman. So yes, a personal relationship with God is very very important . Since we all are travellers on this earth and much more because the bus conductor can end the journey at anytime,let us rather spend time to seek he whom our souls shall return to more rather than judging. And if you still decide to judge, read Matthew 7:5...."first take the plank out of your own eyes, then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brothers eye". A life rather very short but well lived. Rest easy Ebony Reigns..😰😭😭

    ReplyDelete
  3. Work on your salvation with trembling and fear.. Who are you to judge?

    ReplyDelete